Monday, October 4, 2010

Happiness In School?

     Education has always been valued in society but has always been something students learned to dislike. Throughout the years, students have developed a distinction between work and play. Students automatically think school is not fun and feel like it drains them out. Happiness in education can be improved through various ways. Teachers have to be able to engage students with what they’re teaching and involve some activities for students to learn. To bring happiness in education, students need to learn what he/she likes and engage in that activity.
     As a student, I have always felt that I had to go to school and that I had to do well. Ever since I was a kid until now, I have had a fear of failing. In Tal Ben-Shahar’s “Happier” he explains about a model that alot of students fall into. Shahar writes, “The drowning model shows two things: the desire to free ourselves of pain can be a strong motivator and that, once freed, we can easily mistake our relief for happiness” (83). In my psychology class, I feel like I have so much work to do and feel like I can never get it done. My motivation of fear keeps me going and I know that when this load of work passes, I will feel relieved and feel good about having it done. To decrease this stress and anxiety of the load of work I have to do, I can go to a website my professor recommended and try out the quizzes and games. This will most likely keep me engaged in what I need to know and will challenge enough to keep my interest.
     It is known that when a student is interested in what he or she is doing, they will strive at it. Society has labeled education as being math, science and literature. This however, isn’t necessarily true. Students should find an activity or subject they love the most and do their best at it. In Ken Robinson’s speech, “Do Schools Kill Creativity?” he mentioned a girl who loved to dance but teachers had thought she had a learning disorder. When that girl was put in a theatre arts school it was filled with people like her, that loved to dance and she was thrilled. She loved being around people who were just like her and she learned a lot in that school. The point Robinson was trying to make is that students should find what they love, what they’re passionate about and strive to do well at it because it decreases some of the intensity school brings.
     When I am very stressed, I stop what I’m doing and start reading poems and short stories. After I do so, I feel relaxed and happy and continue to finish the remaining school work. This is an activity I’m engaged to and it makes me happy because it relieves me from all the stress of the other school work. To be engaged in school, students need to find out what they like to do so they can focus on it and become a better student.
     As a new student in college, I feel happier because I take courses I am interested in and I know I’ll do well. I don’t feel pressured and feel like I’m studying what I like. There are still of course, flaws I think I have as a student. I think that I’m too quiet and I should interact more with students around me so I can feel more comfortable. I think getting to know more people will make me happier in school because I won’t be intimidated by saying my opinions in class.
     Happiness in education can be difficult to obtain but once students find what they like they’ll be more engaged. Finding an activity can also help relieve stress for students and they’ll feel refreshed and happier when they continue to finish their school work. Many people struggle with finding happiness in education but they need to learn about themselves. They need to learn what they are interested in and once they do, they’ll find that they are happier in what they’re learning.

4 comments:

  1. Hello, Jessica, I am Lin. I like reading your essay because you really put your ideas into the essay. I always can learn new thing after reading your essay. But, this time I find a mistake in your essay. You did not put comma infront of "and". That is it. Everything is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job!!! You are definitely on your way to writing a great paper. I'd keep re-reading and revising for greater style and fluidity. I love your ideas and examples!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huo Ying Lin, your analysis of Ms.Lucero's writing is incorrect proper grammar reveals that it is unnecessary to put a comma after "and" because it is already understood it is a conjunction. The word "and" precedes a clause.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoy reading your blog .I think your introduction has interesting information but while i was reading it i noticed you wrote about what teachers can do to bring happiness to education. i think it would be a good idea to eliminate that in order to show how us as students will be able to bring happiness into our education .

    ReplyDelete